This episode of the Creative Empire Podcast with Shea Hopely of Shea Hopely Flowers is all about styled shoots! Reina, Christina, and Shea discuss how to be intentional about which ones to participate in, the etiquette behind asking another creative to collaborate, how to keep the shoots fun, and why to keep them small. Shea also shares what she looks for in an ideal client and what to do when the client's design style is completely different than yours but you really need the money.
- How florists can travel and work on location
- What Shea looks for in an ideal client
- How Shea decides to do a styled shoot with someone + what she looks for in a project before saying yes
- How to keep the amount of people on-site at a styled shoot small
- What the process of planning a styled shoot with other vendors looks like
- What "enough" looks like for Shea
- What to do if a client's design style is completely different then yours, but you need the money
- What Shea's best tips/tricks are to asking another creative to collaborate on a styled shoot
- What everyone should know about making styled shoots fun
- How styled shoots have helped Shea develop ongoing relationships
- What Shea hopes to see in the floral design area in the future
Shea Hopely is one of Northeast Florida’s most sought-after floral artisans. Her designs are characterized by a creative use of texture, greenery and color. Shea designs her events with careful consideration to the entire aesthetic – from luxurious linens to specialty rentals, each Shea Hopely event is a custom celebration tailored to her client’s vision. With over twenty years of experience in the industry, Shea brings a wealth of knowledge and skill to her clients’ events. Shea began her career in the visual merchandising department of a large retail store in Jacksonville, Florida. There, she was able to cultivate her eye for design and created custom displays that implemented fashion trends and styles. Later, she went on to work for several highly acclaimed area floral designers until she began her own company in 2009. Since then, Shea’s designs have been featured in multiple publications, including the Celebration Society, Every Last Detail, and Southern Weddings. She is a regular contributor to area editorial shoots and has spoken and taught classes at a variety of workshops and retreats. Shea lives in Jacksonville with her husband and two children, and has a love of country music and roller coasters. When she’s not up to her elbows in garden roses, peonies, and greenery, you might find her sipping coffee (she’s a recent convert!) and enjoying a piece of her MeeMee’s pecan pie.
Shea’s Social Handles: