This Creative Empire podcast episode Reina and Christina interview Molly Suber Thorpe, graphic designer, calligrapher, teacher, and author. This episode is all about what it takes to have a thriving calligraphy business. The trio discuss everything from how to price your services to how to find calligraphy jobs.
- What Molly's new book is about
- What advice Molly would say to someone starting out who is scared to charge higher prices
- How to come up with your own freelancing rates
- What someone who feels they are too late to the game should do
- What the difference between freelancers and small business owners is
- How to find calligraphy jobs
- What freelancing has allowed Molly to do
- What being featured by huge publications feels like
- When you need to stop doing "market research" and just start making your own stuff instead
- Modern Calligraphy
- The Calligrapher's Business Handbook
- Carla Hagan's survey of calligraphers
- Creative Empire Podcast's free business workbook
- Freelancers Union
Molly Suber Thorpe is a graphic designer, calligrapher, teacher, and author. She is credited as a driving force behind the modern calligraphy movement and achieved renown for her book, Modern Calligraphy: Everything You Need to Know to Get Started in Script Calligraphy (St. Martin’s Griffin, 2013). Since its release, Modern Calligraphy has sold over 30,000 copies, been translated into Chinese and Spanish, and was named an "Amazon Favorite Craft Book" of 2013.
Her work has been featured in The Guardian, The Wall Street Journal, Martha Stewart Weddings, Los Angeles Times, Country Living, and Style Me Pretty Weddings. Her client list includes Google Cultural Institute, Martha Stewart Weddings, Michael Kors, Fendi, J. Jill, and Victorio & Lucchino. Molly graduated from UCLA's Design Communication Arts program in 2009 with a concentration in typography and layout design. Prior to that, Molly studied art history, comparative literature, and creative writing at The American University of Paris. After spending nearly a decade in Los Angeles, Molly currently lives in Athens, Greece with her partner, a fashion photographer, and their incorrigible Bengal cat.
Molly’s Social Handles: